Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Opening Salvo

So like everyone else in the Western world, I have a blog. Why? Well, honestly, it is because I am a vain human being, and I am doing this in the hopes that one day my memes will spark a worldwide cultural revolution that will bring me some measure of fame and fortune. Think of this as sort of a twisted 529 College Savings account for my kids. Maybe by the time my offspring are knocking on the door of Princeton, the proceeds of this blog will provide for their higher educational costs.

On the other hand, I could be doing this just for fun!

I bring up that option so that 15 years from now, I can rationalize the fact that I didn't achieve my goal of worldwide cultural domination through the excuse that it was never my plan to begin with. Such is the length I will go in order to deceive my ego.

I chose the name "Intilekchoouhl" for this blog because it seemed like quite a clever coup to use a "Little Rascals"-esque spelling of a word usually associated with ivy-covered ivory towers. Also, it was the first site name that I tried that wasn't already taken. I tried "somethingclever", "insertclevernamehere", and a few others before hitting upon the choice that you see before you. [Editor's Note: I hope the owners of those blogs appreciate the pub I am giving them!]

I am not sure what form this blog will take. Basically, I am going to employ the "stream of consciousness" literary technique for this site. I am going to stray away from stuff of a personal nature - not because I am ashamed of my personal life - but because I doubt that the masses would be very interested in hearing about the mundane stuff that they already experience in their own lives. There is a reason why reality TV is not about real life. Real life doesn't get good ratings! I will from time to time reference something that is happening in my life if I feel that it would make for an interesting topic.

Also, I should mention that, like Johnny Carson, I have a sidekick whose name happens to be Ed. Well, actually Ed is just a literary device to represent the thoughts and feelings of the "everyman" as a counterpoint to my own personality. From time to time, I will post statements from the Literary Ed (I like that moniker - maybe I will use it from now on) in order to further the discussion and to offer some amusement to my gentle readers.

Literary Ed: So why should the folks at home read your blog?

That is a good question, Ed. Our Creator endowed us with the ability to choose our own actions without intervention from a Higher Authority. Therefore, who am I to intervene in your life in order to compel you to read my words. Use the Free Will that the Almighty as given you and do what you wish. On the other hand, if you are Atheist, you should read this because it may add some amusement to your fleeting existence. Finally, if your religion does not grant you Free Will, I hope that your deity will direct your actions towards reading this blog; however, I cannot argue with the will of a deity if reading this blog is not part of the Grand Scheme(tm).

No comments: